Do you ever write a post and think about one little sentence within it? Well that’s what I’ve done for this post. What do I mean? Here’s what I mean:
Expression is everywhere
A few weeks ago I published a post titled Mobile Power. In it I hinted that we may even express ourselves, albeit slight, by customising the background picture of our mobile, or creating our own app or ring tone. But expression goes way beyond this – it’s in life, living things just revitalise expression.
Clothes equal expression
What we physically wear says a lot about us, as people, as individuals. Although we may not think it, when we decide to wear something we are also deciding what to broadcast to the world.
- Have you got a white crisp shirt on? Maybe you’re indirectly saying that you’re smart, you like to look after your appearance
- Are you wearing a bright top? Maybe you’re indirectly saying that you’re fun, outgoing, even before someone has the pleasure of meeting you
- Are you wearing a baggy hoodie? Maybe you’re indirectly saying that you’re in leisure mode, so much so, you aren’t really in the mood to go to fancy shops
This list could go on, but I hope you get my drift? Getting someone’s drift is often used in Ireland to mean point of view. Everyday is a school say, that’s why I love education! Maybe you use a similar term in your region, do you?
Music equals expression
Perhaps a more obvious form of expression, nevertheless still an expression. What type of genre of music we listen to can tell others a lot about us, who we are, what we stand for etc.
- Does chart/pop music mean you like most things in life?
- Does classical music mean you appreciate all the little noises/sounds in your life?
- Does slow(er) music mean that you are broadcasting to the world that you aren’t feeling 100% today?
Writing equals expression
You have a blog, you write on it, but what you writes allows you to express yourself. You can be you simply by having a WordPress blog. Do you…
- …write in bullet points? Does this mean you like to get to the point, or like straight talking?
- …use big words? Does this show you like to learn new words and enhance your language?
- …have a personalised theme for your blog? Does this show that you are artistic?
Hold on, what about stereotypes?
I’m not trying to be totally politically correct here, but I don’t like to stereotype people and/or things. But for the purpose of this post, I feel that I haven’t offended women, men, children, the LGBT community, introverts, extroverts, again this list could go on and on.
But what I want to get across is that we are you and you! Not you and I. That is, you are you! Completely unique, just like no one else in the world has the exact same wardrobe as you! So use the contents of your wardrobe to express yourself, and enjoy your one life as you express yourself so well.